Monday 28 March 2011

Breastfeeding in the Land of Genghis Khan | InCultureParent

Breastfeeding.... Soo many opinions, advice, views, do's and dont's ... I breastfed my first daughter until she was 13 months old and she stopped on her own, I was pregnant 4 weeks with my second baby. The second child I was, well still am breastfeeding, And she is coming on 3. Yes 3 years old! I did stopped when she was around 2 and a half, for four months she was begging me to give it to her. Not demanding, but very gently and politely. My heart was breaking. If even after 4 months your child still asks for it that surely means that she really really needs it?! Everyone was telling me that I did the right thing and it is ridiculous to breastfeed her even as long as I did. I went to the GP about my acne and when she wanted to prescribe me something I told her that I'm breastfeeding, she looked at me like I'm an idiot and told me to quit. I asked her why? She said: '' the child is too old''. I left the office immediately with out saying a word, was so angry!
And after four months of not breastfeeding and her pledges ... it didn't feel right to me. And then she broke her arm! In the hospital she didn't get any painkillers and it was soo painful after the twisting the technicians did on her arm for an x-ray She was screaming with pain. She asked me for a breast and I gave it to her! So, she will be 3 in two months time and we are back breastfeeding on demand after 4 months break.
The article I have stumbled upon is fantastic. It is the best I have ever read about breastfeeding. My favourite part is: ''By Calum’s second year, I had fully realized just how useful breastfeeding could be. Nothing gets a child to sleep as quickly, relieves the boredom of a long car journey as well, or calms a breaking storm as swiftly as a little warm milk from mummy. It’s the lazy mother’s most useful parenting aid, and by now I thought I was using it to its maximum effect.''  I can relate to it 100%.
Please read the whole Article and hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Breastfeeding in the Land of Genghis Khan | InCultureParent

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! thanks for visiting my site - just followed you back...Good luck with the schools...

    ReplyDelete